Friday, October 4, 2013

starting... again

I set this blog up almost 18 months ago and have had a few failed starts. This morning I woke up determined to get going here! I think a great deal while I work out and want a place to dump my thoughts. I also want some place to look back at my growth in all things life-related but primarily in running and triathlon.

So, my first post is going to be about the injury that has sidelined my running for possibly the entire fall season. Hmmm...

I started training for the Can Lake 50 Mile road race in the end of July. I worked my butt off (literally!) all summer. I trained during the hottest times of day (during the heat waves!) in an attempt to make my cooling system more efficient. I ran a 50km trial race: the Green Lakes Endurance Run (in a word Awesome, future post about this!). I hit my first 60 mile training week, did back to back 20's, and a 35 mile long run.

Saturday, September 21, I started a 23.8 mile run (with the Rochester Marathon the next day, I would have a 50 mile weekend, the last mental hurdle for me). It was a monsoon-like day in Rochester. Non-stop rain, big fat drops. Honestly, my favorite weather to run in if I'm dressed appropriately, which I was. Hubby, Little One and I drove out to East Rochester to watch Big One's field hockey game. My plan was to run almost home from there (long story involving an over-scheduled family, I'll spare you the details) and I was soaked before I ran a step. Excellent. I situated my Camelbak, stocked with PB&J and some Gu's, buried my phone in a pocket in an effort to keep it dry, and headed on a course towards home.

I was immediately starving. I don't believe this had anything to do with the injury but will note nutrition anyway. I took a Gu within the first mile and promised my grumbling tummy another one in an hour.

The rain kept coming.

About two and a half hours in, I ate my PB&J (it was almost dry, yuck!) and then noticed a twinge in my ankle/top of foot area. It felt like my shoe was tied too tight. I decided I'd adjust the shoe if it got worse or wasn't gone in a half hour. A mistake to wait?

I finally decided to investigate a little more when I started running down a rather large hill, not very steep but a mile or so long. I stopped and loosened the shoe lace. No change. I loosened it again. No change. I tried the numerous ways I know to tie shoes. The only change: the pain got worse every time I started up again. I poked around where I thought the pain was coming from... funny, no pain there. I started poking up my shin and found it. The source was about six inches above my ankle. Uh oh! I finally knew, about four miles after the pain started, that I was dealing with something serious and had to stop right then, 18 miles in. I called Hubby for a ride home.

A few days later, I visited a sports medicine doctor who took x-rays, called it a possible stress fracture (I wasn't completely convinced) and put me on crutches for a week or two. That was nine days ago.

I had been pain-free for three days so I ditched the crutches yesterday. At noon, all was still well and I hit the company gym for a 30 minute express cycle class. I did not risk leaving the saddle to climb but that didn't really matter. Did it feel good to sweat!

My next visit to the doc, with repeat x-rays, is next week. He ought to be able to rule out a stress fracture at that time. Until then, I'll add a little non-impact activity each day and monitor for symptoms.

Can Lake is in eight days. There's a tiny chance I can still run. Tiny. But that's better than nothing.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, sorry to hear about your injury. I don't do that kind of mileage, but do run on rail trails which are a little easier on the legs. Hope your recovery is swift and you can race soon. I ran around Rochester about ten years ago while attending a friend's wedding. I enjoyed running along the canal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for reading.
    Rochesterians are fortunate to have the canal towpath to run on. Miles upon miles (and even more miles) of traffic free running and biking enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete